Friday, May 21, 2010

Sunflower Sprouts


Should we eat it or plant it? One of the best things about getting produce from the CSA farm is that we get to try food that we didn't even know existed!

These are sprouts from sunflower seeds. Last week, I didn't know anything about sunflowers sprouts. Now I know that since these are probably a few days old, they should properly be called sunflower greens. In any case, sprouts and greens are high in protein and a myriad of other nutrients.

I expected them to be delicate. No, they are hardy, crunchy greens that might keep for a week or maybe even more when refrigerated after cutting.

I expected them to be bitter. No, they are quite mild tasting with a hint of sunflower seed flavor.

They are good for salads and sandwiches, and you know, I enjoyed just snacking on a few plain this morning!

For the curious, here's an article about sunflower greens.

3 comments:

  1. And to think that I have been throwing these away all these years when I thin my rows! Wonder if all seeds are edible or if some are treated and we shouldn't eat the sprouts? Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...don't know about that one. Let us know if you find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like them straight and in salad.

    James

    ReplyDelete