Friday, September 10, 2010

Lessons from the Crockpot

Well, I've been trying some of the recipes in Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, which I borrowed from the library.  More than finding new recipes (as if I need more, ha!), I'm learning how to use my crock pot.  Here are a few things...

  • It is difficult to burn anything in a crock pot, but given the correct amount of beans, vegetables, and water, it is quite possible to make a pile of mush.
  • Slow cooking vegetables in a stew really does make them taste better!
  • I've learned that my 6qt crock pot should have 3-4 cups of cooked beans and lots of chopped vegetables.  This means leftovers!  Leftovers means a night off from making dinner!
  • I've learned that my crock pot cooks the above beans and vegetables in four to six hours on low.  This means, I fill the crock pot after lunch and it is ready for dinner time.

Yesterday, I made my first attempt to convert a stovetop recipe for French Lentil Stew into a crock pot recipe....Lesson learned: Use less water!

I hope to master my crock pot to make it a more useful tool.  Do you love your crock pot?

Disclosure.

2 comments:

  1. I love my crockpot, but I loved it even more when my children were home. Often my supper would go in the crockpot shortly after they left for school. Of course, I used more meat dishes than you do, Charity. I don't like my newest crockpot as well as my old, because it gets too hot and cooks things faster than I am used to. One of my favorites was to put a whole chicken in there, let it simmer all day, and it fell off the bones. What didn't get eaten was great for soup or hotdishes. Carrots and potatotes were added during the day also.

    I think a crockpot is a very good friend for a mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO! I've already used it twice this week and it's only Tuesday. :D

    ReplyDelete