Monday, May 30, 2011

Cooking Day Success!

7:55am: French toast casserole goes in the oven.

Then I had to finish cleaning up the kitchen from last night.  :)

8:20am: Put the pizza crust in the bread maker.

8:30am: Get chicken and red beans cooking on the stove.  Chop vegetables.

9:00am: Mix dry ingredients for waffles and muffins.

9:25am: Cut up cooked chicken.

9:35am: Make pizza rolls ups (oops--forgot the cheese in the BBQ chicken roll up!) and wild rice soup.  Discover that my largest pot does not hold a double batch of wild rice soup.  Oh well, I make do.

10:30am: 1 Large bowl of wild rice soup cooling; 2 pizza roll ups in the freezer, 2 French toast casseroles in the freezer and 2 cooling; the red beans are still cooking as they ought to be.  Time to put dinner in the crock pot!

10:35am: Time for a break, that blueberry French toast casserole looks so yummy!

11:00am: Start making red bean and quinoa chili and muffins.

11:45am:  Do a few dishes while waiting for the chili to finish.

12:15pm: Chili is cooking, muffins are in the oven (need to keep the muffins going!) and time for some lunch.

After lunch: Make bean burritos.  Not sure how these will appear when they come out of the freezer as the tortillas fell apart while I was rolling them.  I think they'll taste good; just might be a mess!

2:05pm: Burritos done.  Last of the muffins are in the oven.  Time to start on the spaghetti and waffles.

4:05pm: Food is done!  Dishes are done!  The only thing left is to sweep and mop the floor!

In about 8 hours....4 pans of French toast casserole, 5 dozen muffins, 2 batches of waffles, 3 meals of wild rice soup, 2 meals of red bean and quinoa chili, 1 meal of pizza roll ups, 3 meals of spaghetti, 10 burritos, and dinner in the crock pot!


Overall, the day went far better than I expected!  What I expected was to be scrambling at dinner time and then have about two hours of dishes to clean up after it was all done!  I mostly stuck with my written plan for the day, making just a few changes as I went.  I was surprised that I really didn't generate too many dishes!  And, I was able to wash a few here and there, so they weren't piled high at the end of cooking day!

I feel good about what got done today and I have to brag on my honey a little bit too.  Do you know what he did today?  In addition to caring for our two littles, he....

  • Worked on next month's budget.
  • Figured out that we still have a warranty on our breaking blender and sent an email to the company.
  • Replaced the broken belt in our vacuum cleaner.
  • Scrubbed the shower and the toilets.
  • Did a couple loads of laundry.
Seriously impressive.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed! Did you notice a difference the following month in time spent cooking? I've been tempted to do something like this over Christmas break or something.

    On a side note, my friend Angie and I started a cooking blog specific to bush Alaska. Thought you might like to check it out.

    http://cookinginbushalaska.blogspot.com/
    ~AnnMarie

    ReplyDelete