Monday, October 24, 2011

Freezer Beans

In the coming weeks months, I hope to share some of my freezer friendly recipes.  So here's the beginning.  Well, actually the beginning was the Freezer Fries recipe a couple posts ago.  Those are fabulous.  Next up, beans.

I was inspired by Once a Month Mom's refried black bean recipe.  So I made it.  But, of course, I changed a few things, well, most things.  Here's my version....

One pound of black beans
1/2 to 1 medium onion, finely chopped
Garlic, a bunch, maybe half of a bulb or so
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper


1.  Rinse and soak beans overnight.  In the morning, drain and rinse.
2.  Put beans in crockpot with onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
3.  Cover with about 3 3/4 cups water.  Add more water if needed during cooking.
4.  Cook on low for several hours until beans are easily mashed.  Mash to desired consistency with your preferred kitchen gadget.  If the consistency is too liquid, cook on high, uncovered for a bit more time.
5.  Divide into two quart-sized freezer bags and freeze.
6.  To serve, thaw and reheat on the stove

I like to serve these with Lynn's Mexican Rice.  I follow that recipe, mostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment