Thursday, June 10, 2010

Farm News

Bad news from the farm this week.  The mice got the beet roots.  I LOVE BEETS!  Oh, well, I guess I'll go to the Farmer's Market and see if another farm got beets this year.

The good news is that there will still be plenty, plenty, of vegetables to eat this week.  I always feel a bit overwhelmed after I bring our bag of vegetables home.  Pictured above in the top row is spinach and lettuce.  Middle row: kale, mustard greens, mint.  Beneath the mint is parsley (not discernible in the picture.)  Bottom row: sunflower sprouts, cilantro, green onions, orach.  To the far right is beet greens.

5 comments:

  1. I picked 10 lbs of strawberries from a farm yesterday! Great idea during the picking, thinking it might have been a bit much while I was cleaning them all! I ate so many that I was too full to even try a piece of the rhubarb/strawberry pie I made! Today is a new day though and I will be trying the pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I can see how that could be a little overwhelming, but at least you know you're getting your money's worth of food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is any of these vegies grown in greenhouses? I just found a CSA near here and they don't start till later in the month.
    Do you manage to eat all that food. Is very much wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I believe our CSA farm uses greenhouses. We do manage to eat, freeze, or dry everything. The only thing we've gotten that cannot be preserved is lettuce. And, if I cannot use it, I will give it away, so that virtually none of it is wasted. Some CSA's sell half shares and you can always find a buddy to split the cost of a full share with if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charity- We are receiving some pumpkin butter for free. Any suggestions as to how we should use it? The only thing I know of so far is toast.
    Holli

    ReplyDelete